- 6 sections • 41 lectures • 1h 51m total length
What you’ll learn
- Be aware of the two areas of consideration for RS485 communications
- Understanding of communication port parameters
- Understanding of cabling standards
- Configure RS485 communications between a PLC and a Computer
- Be able to effective use a USB-to-RS485 converter for connection to a Computer
- Understand the process of serial data transmission
- Be able to troubleshoot any RS485 based network in the field of plant automation
- Fundamentals of binary data systems and how computers store and exchange binary data
RS-485 is the de facto workhorse of data communications in the field of plant automation.
It is very effective in applications with significant electrical interference (noise) requiring a long transmission distance. Thus, the standard is often used in industrial applications. It is as an inexpensive local area network (LAN) connection that allows multiple receivers to connect within a multi drop configuration. RS-485 does not include a communications protocol.
This course delivers the theoretical and practical aspects of RS-485 in a very effective way, so that at the end, you will be able to build, maintain and troubleshoot any RS-485 based network in the plan automation field. The course features a live physical connection between a PLC and a Computer via a USB-to-RS485 converter, an example that is key to effective troubleshooting of RS-485 systems.
After completing this course, you will be able to integrate devices from the same manufacturers and different manufacturers, that are RS-485 compliant, to form a complete seamless network.
Who this course is for:
- Electrical Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Tech or Engineering Students
- Process Control Technicians